Why are there differences in the cost of renewing my
tag from year to year?
There may be several reasons for differences in the cost of your tag renewal:
What is the penalty for late renewal of a tag?
- Normally, a vehicle’s value will depreciate, reducing the assessed value of the
- You may have moved into a new jurisdiction with a different tax rate
- The tag you bought last year may have been pro-rated for a partial year. If so,
your assessment this year will be higher since it will reflect a full year
- Occasionally, the company which provides market values to the Department of Revenue
assigns the same or higher values if a vehicle is a popular used vehicle.
You should renew your tag by the last business day of your renewal month. The penalty
for failure to renew within the time allowed by law is $15.00 plus 12% annualized
interest to the date of payment.
Can I pay for and renew a tag for someone else?
Yes, if you have permission from the owner, and present the following:
In what months are license plates renewed?
- The owner’s check (signed by the owner)
- A copy of their driver’s license
- Photo ID of the person presenting the check
- We consider your possession of the owner’s courtesy renewal card as consent for
you to renew the registration.
Alabama registers vehicles under a staggered registration system, January through
November, based on the first letter of the owner’s last name. Motor vehicle registrations
expire on the last day of the designated renewal month. For example: someone whose
last name begins with the letter J, K, or R is required to renew his/her vehicle
registration in the month of August, and the previous registration expires on August
31. Leased, commercial and fleet vehicles are subject to renewal in the months of
October and November and the registrations for these type vehicles expire on November
30; provided, vehicles registered pursuant to the International Registration Plan
(IRP) are assigned renewal registration months by the Department of Revenue in Montgomery.
For a complete list of the staggered registration system,