Purchase or Acquire a Vehicle

I just bought a used car from an individual. How do I transfer the tag?
On vehicles newer than 35 years, you must apply for title transfer by bringing the current Alabama title (signed correctly by the previous owner), along with the bill of sale, tag number or previous tag receipt. On vehicle models older than 35 years, transfer can be made with a bill of sale, tag receipt or tag number, and the vehicle . Transfers can be made at all offices of the License Commissioner. For additional information, please read the flier "Just Bought a Vehicle."

I just bought a new (or used) car from a dealer. Will they handle all the paperwork?

The dealer is required to complete your application for title and collect sales tax due at their location. However, you must bring the following:
1. A copy of the title application
2. Bill of sale
3. Valid Alabama Insurance card or Policy
4. Dealer’s Affidavit
To the License Commissioner’s office to actually register the vehicle. It is your responsibility to make sure the vehicle is registered. The vehicle is not properly registered if you simply put an old tag on a newly acquired vehicle without a visit to the License Commissioner’s office.

I am a Mobile County resident, and I just acquired a vehicle. How many days do I have to title and register this vehicle?

Alabama law provides that any person acquiring a new or used motor vehicle shall within 20 calendar days from the date of acquisition, obtain a license plate. In order to register a vehicle subject to the Alabama title law, a title application must be completed before a registration can be processed.